I normally wouldn’t do this, but my favorite blogger posts an annual year-in-review and invites her readers to do the same. Like most of the stuff she writes, it sucked me right in and I couldn’t wait to do my own (you can check her out at sundrymourning.com). So here it is, my look back at 2010. I’d love to see yours, too! (That sounded kinda dirty.)
1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
Waited until my cell phone died a natural death before upgrading to the model I really wanted. Landed my dream agent. Sold a book to a major publisher. Sliced off my own fingertip on a mandolin. Played a sport competitively.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
No and no. But every year my husband and I make a list of goals. Typically 90 percent of them involve the house, sadly (stuff like repave the driveway, refinish the wood floors, smash the crap-ass Magic Chef stove into tiny pieces and replace it with the phat Viking range of my materialistic little dreams). We go balls-out, including everything, even things we don’t think will happen in a million years (such as “buy a vacation home!”), no less the next twelve months. And every year we are amazed at what we accomplish.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
Does Texas count as a different country? Cuz shit howdy, they do things different there.
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
That Viking range would be nice. And maybe just a tad more patience with my kids.
7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
I spent Mother’s Day writing the eulogy for one of my best friend’s two-year-old son. It was gruesome and bittersweet and made me so grateful for everything I have.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I guess that dream agent/big publisher thing is up there.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I don’t really believe in that word, because even the sawing-off-of-my-own fingertip was a profound learning experience.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Other than the fingertip debacle, I made it through nearly intact.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
The over-the-knee boots that I’m probably too old to wear and require help getting on and off bring me tremendous joy on a regular basis. Also my cheetah car mats are rad.
12. Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage, groceries, hair salon.
13. What did you get really excited about?
I went from enjoying tennis to being almost rabid about it. I don’t just want to play, I want to win. Badly. That’s a new feeling for me, at least in a sport. It’s dizzying.
14. What song will always remind you of 2010?
Single Ladies, without question. Listening to my 5 and 7 year olds belt it out on their cordless karaoke mics kills me every time.
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? SAME
– thinner or fatter? SAME BUT MAYBE SQUISHIER/SAGGIER?!
– richer or poorer? RICHER BECAUSE NO MORE KIDS IN PRESCHOOL!!!
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Blogging and lunges.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Kicking myself in the ass for not doing more blogging and lunges.
18. How did you spend Christmas?
In my cozy Santa Barbara home with my little family, just the way I like it.
19. What was your favorite TV program?
I had pretty much sworn off TV until I found Modern Family. Now I’m all “is it tonight? did it record?” almost every day. Drives my husband insane.
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
That’s like asking a kid her favorite candy. Pass.
21. What was your favorite music from this year?
Um, we’re pretty much a Taylor Swift/Hannah Montana household over here. I wouldn’t know new music if it grew a fist and punched me in the eye. Lame but true.
22. What were your favorite films of the year?
Haven’t seen a movie in a theater in years… Truly…
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 41 this year and for the life of me I cannot remember how I spent the day. I think every birthday from here on will live in the shadow of the fabulousness of last year’s 40th blowout casino-circa-1969 bash. Best night of my life.
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Satisfying? Dunno. Trying out for the interclub tennis team maybe? Just typing that makes me nervous. Is that a sign?
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
Designer jeans, Old Navy tees and lots of accessories. Especially hats.
26. What kept you sane?
Having a job that I love so much that I’d do it anyway, even if nobody was paying me.
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
Use the fucking finger protector.